| Tuesday, August 08, 2006 |
| The End of an Incredible Summer |
Written on August 8, but I forgot to actually publish it because I didn't feel it was done. Now, who cares!
My summer is drawing to a close. When I first left school in May, I had tons of butterflies in my stomach; some from nervousness, others from excitement. After spending nearly 12 weeks here in Orlando, I have begun the process of packing up my belongings as I have done many times in my life.
I've come to the point in my life where the moving around all the time is beginning to get old. The big problem though, is that by doing so much moving the past few years, I've grown to find a home all over the country. For some reason, I'm able to find happiness wherever I go. Perhaps its just eternal optimism, but whatever.
There is so much to think about as I prepare to leave Florida. When I came at the beginning of the summer, I had in mind that Florida was a place I would be for about 3 months and perhaps never return to again. Now, I plan to return right after graduation in May. Orlando, though my family is 18 hours away, is where I feel I belong. There is such a strong young-adult, Christian community here that I am happy to be a part of. While I still have some time before needing to get things set in stone regarding a job after graduation, I am always thinking to the future.
I see myself with a few different options. Ultimately I would like to do academy development at Forest Lake Academy... but straight out of college? I'm not sure I would feel prepared enough to go out on my own. Another option I've looked at was to see if the Management Residency would be available to me. If neither of those worked out, I would try an entry-level position in marketing here at the hospital.
Okay... so back to the residency. For the first half of my internship, I was pretty sure I didn't want to come back. Things were difficult, but eventually I was able to get over it and now find myself happy with where I am at. While wanting to do it is one part of a job, having the position available to me is another. Today while helping one of the high-ups with something, while we were talking I mentioned that tomorrow is my last day. To make a long story short, she hopes that I'll come back and that for me not to do the residency would be silly since I am already trained. Lets just say that hearing that from her made my day. Now, once everyone returns, I'm going to talk to my boss and let her know that I'm interested (as I had planned to do before prior said conversation) and see what steps to take next.
As for what is to come sooner than next summer, starting on Sunday morning, I will drive 18 hours back home to Pennsylvania, most likely stopping somewhere overnight. While home for 5 days, my car will spend the time with the mechanic to take care of the things that did not need immediate attention while here in Florida. Then, the following Sunday, I will be back in my car headed south for 12 hours to wonderful "Happy Valley," TN where I will begin my final year as an undergrad student. Excitement and panic both fill me with this thought. On Monday the 20th, I will begin my job as Development Intern in Advancement, and classes will start on Thursday. Suddenly, I'm beginning to feel overwhelmed.
I guess that's about all I have for now. Its not really anything exciting, but this is my life... the one that I love living, crazy as it may be! |
posted by Elizabeth @ 9:42 AM  |
|
|
|
| A Fresh Start |

- Name: Elizabeth
- Location: Orlando, Florida, United States
I'm finally a college graduate who's now going in a direction different than my degree. Its stressful at times, but completely worth it.
View my complete profile
|
| Recent Posts |
|
| Archives |
|
| Contact |
|
| Links |
|
|
| Template by |
|
|